Children have recently been carried away by Slavic mythology, and I was curious. We studied many sources, learned interesting information, which became forgotten by the Slavic peoples with the advent of Christianity. But much is taken precisely from our ancient history of Russia.
Symbols and images, called ancestors of the gods, played a huge role in everyday life. One of the central figures is Simargl (or Semargl) - the God of Fire and the keeper of crops, which will be discussed in this article.
Semargla Place in Slavic Mythology
With the advent of Christianity, Slavic mythology, one of the wisest and most interesting in the history of ancient Russia, faded into the background. The number and pantheon of deities was huge, each God was responsible for a certain element of nature, sometimes had several guises and functions. We know the main characters: Dazhdbog, Veres, Perun and many others. But no less important among the farmers was Simargl - the God of Fire and the defender of crops.
- Over the centuries, many myths and legends of the ancient Slavs have been lost. Christianity did not want to recognize pagan deities, so in the modern world, scientists and archaeologists bit by bit recreated the entire hierarchy and origin of many gods, among which was Simargl.
- In the course of long-term scientific work, the following version was put forward: the peoples living near the border with Ancient Iran (Persia) adopted and assimilated the God Simurg to Simargl.
- Simurg was a hybrid of dog and bird, was an ancient Persian deity, and Semargl became the God of Fire, the external characteristic also resembles the face of Simurg.
- Simargl according to legends protected crops: he burned the last snow in early spring. After that, the tillers could begin the crop sowing season.
- But not only this function was at Semargla. He had a huge fiery sword, which defended Jav. He was afraid of all the evil, it is also God - the Warrior. Therefore, in many ancient rites, the element of Fire is of paramount importance, and is considered cleansing and redeeming from every kindling.
- Information about this deity is extremely small. According to some data, Semargl was considered a kind of intermediary between God Perun and humanity. He not only protected the World from all evil, but also protected the Tree of Life. It was on it that the seeds of absolutely all plants on Earth were collected.
In the ancient images, preserved on artifacts after archaeological excavations, Simargl is depicted as a winged dog. So he was depicted on jewelry and amulets, amulets. The second appearance, preserved to our days, is the bird Rarog, consisting of Fire.
On the images that have survived to this day, you can see the ornaments surrounding the appearance of Semargla. This suggests that protective amulets were made, which were kept in many Slavic families even after the adoption of Christianity. Even in the temples on the gate remained the image of this deity, for example, those were found in Suzdal.
Where did Simargl come from - pedigree
- It is believed that his father is the great judge of all the gods in heaven - Svarog or Heavenly Father. Svarog - blacksmith hit with a hammer on Alatyr - stone. From sparks reborn Semargl. He belongs to the second generation of Gods - Yasuni, that is, his sons - Svarozhich.
- In the myths and legends of the Slavs, Simargl received a human image (more convenient for perception and worship than a mixture, a hybrid of a dog and a bird) of a huge hero with red hair, a black beard and a magical fiery sword. he had a horse with a golden mane.
- The energy of the Fire was so high (which is constantly emphasized in various sources) that a field of scorched grass remained on the field after Semargl and his horse. The sword of fire destroyed all evil that occurred on the path of this high and mighty God.
- It is known that Simargl had 2 children born from Kuparnitsy: Kupalo and Kostroma. On the night of the holiday of Ivan Kupala (when the shortest night, the summer solstice), they were born. Because only once a year, Semargl could leave the post of defender of Yavi from Darkness, when he was invited to love games on the Autumn Equinox Bathing Bowl, and exactly 9 months later the children were born.
The myths and meanings of Simargl
People believed that this mediator between people and the world of the Gods protected them from all Evil. He was worshiped and a little afraid, because he is always in the world of Navi, where he does not leave his post. Some believed that the element of Fire was involved in the creation of man.
Legends with Simargl
- It is believed that this warrior appears on the day when Mara reincarnates in the spring. He makes sure that winter is over, and all living things begin to develop on earth.
- Since Semargl is on the line of Navi, Yavi and Rule, defending Jav, and restraining Navi’s attacks, he was always called into battle. He guarded the sons of Russians and Gods in battles and battles. He participated in the battles of the Gods of Rule and Navi. He cut the darkness with a fiery sword, so the dark army of Chernobog perished.
- Mike - Zlatogorka hid in a cave for the birth of Avsen and Kolyada. Semargl guarded these caves. He struck the sword on the cave wall, a living spring appeared, thanks to which Avseny and Kolyada were born (from water droplets).
- Many Slavs considered Simargl practically the God of Death and the God of the Moon. It is explained by his incessant connection with the world of Navi. It was believed that every night he leaves the world of Yavi to watch in the world of Darkness and protect all living things from the attacks of evil spirits.
- Scientists and historians draw a clear analogy between Simargl and Archangel Michael from Christianity. The second saint also has a fiery sword with which he protects the earth from evil with the help of the heavenly host.
- Our ancestors did not call Semargla, they believed that he himself sees all the needs of mankind. It was not customary to utter his name in vain. He was approached only in the most dashing days, they asked for deliverance from severe ailments or to strengthen family ties.
- In folk conspiracies, he appears as Penezhny the Fire Serpent. Also mentioned Semargl in the collection of St. Gregory, compiled in the 14th century, and the collection of John Chrysostom (1271), where he is called Yognebozh.
- Since this deity has several faces, we can see various faces on old bracelets and other jewelry. One of them is a winged dog. There is also a bird consisting of Fire - Rarog (Parozhka, it is revered by the Czechs).
- Such a strong God also has the symbolism of the Heavenly Fire, because he was the brother of Perun, was a significant figure. A special sign is a spark of a fire.
- Such talismans are used by anyone who wants to protect themselves from any manifestation of Evil, to protect themselves and their loved ones from evil spirits. It is said that charms save from fires and other natural disasters.
- Rune Semargla - Wolf. Also, over time, they began to portray Semargla with the Shield, although initially the god did not have it. It has always been about the huge sword of Fire.
How did the name - Semargl
Indeed, God has a very interesting sounding name. If we turn to ancient sources, the answer to this question is there.
The name of this brave divine warrior is mentioned in the ancient Russian chronicles - the pantheon of Prince Vladimir. From there, it is clear that the name comes from the old Russian word “smag”, that is, “fire, tongue of flame”.
There is one more hypothesis, whence such name appeared. Some scholars believe that this God in Slavic mythology is a kind of collective personality - a sevenfold creature having at once 7 guises. Hence the name, from the number "seven". That is, the entity could not only look like a winged dog or a “sacred bird”, but there were also more faces.
The third variant of the occurrence of the name is the Ancient Persian God Simurg, the translation of which means "heat - a bird", that is, also a creature with authority over the Fire Elements. In the name Simurg also has a similar root - "sim."
When is Simarglu Day celebrated
In ancient times, people believed that the power of fire was in the hands of this deity. His function was to preserve the original fire. Often, therefore, turned to Simarglu to protect their home.
Accepted according to old Russian traditions, to celebrate the Feast of Fire on April 14.
What is the difference from other gods
There are several special features that give Simarglu a very important role. Researchers still cannot decide and find out what other functions this incomprehensible God had. Why was it needed if Perun was? Found out the following.
- When Perun was not born yet, Simargl already defended the world of rules. It was an experienced and brave Warrior.
- His role was a mediation between the worlds: he often passed the necessary information to the world of Yavi.
- The second peculiarity: this God concentrated in himself the strength and power of all the major Gods. When he appeared in battle, Yasuni became very strong and powerful and won the victory necessarily.