We all have different characteristics of our nervous system. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages. The famous Russian physiologist I.I. Pavlov, continuing the works of Hippocrates, spoke about 4 types of personality: strong unbalanced (choleric), strong balanced (sanguine), strong balanced inert (phlegmatic), weak unbalanced (melancholic).
In this article we will talk about being an inert person - what is he like by nature?
What is inertness?
Inertness - what does this concept mean? By this is meant the property of the human nervous system to very slowly delve into the essence of what is happening, get involved in the work process and also slowly leave it. As a rule, inertness is complemented by other characteristics, such as:
- apathy — that is, indifferent perception of both oneself and others;
- Slow development is true, this quality is not always the case.
If we consider the types of temperaments, then phlegmatic are considered inert. Is inertness good or bad? Here, as they say, which side to look at. This state has its advantages and disadvantages.
The advantages are as follows:
- An inert person manifests enviable stress tolerance, which most choleric people envy.
- Able to spend their energy wisely, without wasting it in vain.
- If he concentrates on one case, he pays all his attention to him, which allows him to achieve impressive results in the end. But giving such an employee several tasks at once, be sure to warn him about this, because he needs to properly distribute his forces.
But not without flaws:
- Inert person - who is this? This is a person from whom it is impossible to wait for the initiative in any of the spheres of life. People of this type prefer to behave passively, inactively, “go with the flow”, not wanting to make any changes, and strive to shift the responsibility onto other people's shoulders.
- They insure themselves in all sorts of ways, even from minor mistakes, rather than slowing down their actions even more.
Note! There is a big difference between depression and an innate feature of the nervous system, such as inertia. Whereas depression is a mental disorder, inert behavior may well be the norm for a person.
Why do some people show inertia? Is this an innate quality or was it acquired in adulthood? It should be noted here that there are two categories of people:
- The first group - phlegmatic temperament, which are inert from birth and this is for them a variant of the physiological norm.
- The second category is people whose cause of inert behavior is laziness and indecision. They simply cannot cope with their goals, although there are no objective reasons for this.
It turns out that inertia has both personal and social significance.
Surely, in the team you have met the first category of citizens. They are so slow that they can, with their light inhibition, lead to a state of despondency, like a prolonged downpour in summer. Alas, they do it not for evil, but simply possess such temperament.
By nature, they have a lack of vitality, and therefore do not show increased interest in the surrounding world. In their eyes, the light never burns, and inside there are no ambitions, goals and desires. But with all this, they are not in a state of depression. And their world completely satisfies them.
It may sound a little rough, but I would like to draw an analogy with one African tribe of people who do not get their own food, but are used to eating the gifts of the ocean, cast ashore. Yes, still collect the fruits of plants growing nearby. And the main part of their life is in a state of sleep.
But there are those individuals whose passivity is due to improper upbringing in the family. For example, the kid showed curiosity, but his eternal questions strongly got adults. And they tried to stop these attempts with the words "Leave me alone," "Shut up," "How much you can talk," and the like.
Under the influence of such upbringing, the child became inert, began to show indifference to the surrounding world. Many representatives of the weaker sex, having such a character, go to work not because they dream of self-realization or money, but simply not to sit at home all the time.
How to cope with inertia
Here again it is necessary to divide the recommendations for inborn inert people and those who are simply lazy and inactive.
What to do to those who are not passive, but just lazy?
- Usually indecision is caused by low self-esteem. Then it turns out that for the elimination of this disease will require a constant increase in self-esteem. Speak to such a person that everything will turn out for him, that he is well done. Do your utmost praise even for minimal accomplishments.
- And if criticism is greatly needed, then express it in such a way that the passive individual can look at the situation from a different angle, drawing the right conclusions from it. Oppression is strictly forbidden, because how such a person will accept unreasoned criticism is unknown.
Recommendations for "drifting"
If you by nature are inert type of personality, then it would not hurt to listen to further advice:
- Choose a career so that you can feel like a real professional in it. When other people will constantly seek help - you will feel self-confidence and be able to raise your self-esteem.
- Is there even the slightest inspiration in life? Absolutely nothing can arouse interest in you, ignite at least some emotions? Then it is recommended to find a person who is just burning with an idea and joining him in his efforts. And may you not be embraced by the same passion that he has, but then you will be able to get the most valuable skills from him. For example, learn how to build plans and their subsequent implementation, as well as the pleasure of this process.
- Sometimes life challenges every one of us. It requires you to make some effort, go somewhere, get out of your "shell". No need to immediately seek to "hide his head in the sand." To begin with, try to soberly assess what is happening according to the criteria from zero to ten points, as far as it is difficult for you. But at the same time, do not forget about the pleasure received from the realization of the plan. Many inert people tend to intentionally exaggerate problems, minimizing the joy of victory.
- Enter expressions with a strong positive coloring in your speech: “beautiful”, “great”, “I like it very much”. Psychologists say that our thoughts and words create our whole life. Therefore, at first you will simply begin to say positive statements, and then you will not notice that the life around has become brighter, richer, more interesting.
You can go to the logical conclusion of the topic. It turns out that inertia is not always a disease in psychology, and often it is simply one of the features of the nervous system. We are all different in our temperament, but we are not able to change this indicator.
Of course, in this case we are not talking about laziness. If you suffer from your own passivity, show apathy and do not want to make any effort - you need to learn to work on yourself, on your complexes and fears, to get rid of indecision.
I would also like to note that inert people are in fact very important emotional support of others. Therefore, if you have such a person in a team or family - do not seek to spread rot to him, try, at least from time to time, to cheer up by saying warm words.
And even more information on the topic will tell you the following video: